Thursday, June 9, 2011

Dig This Gig, a Book Review by Decateur Thoms


Hey, all!  What's up?  Whatever...

So, I've returned from my vacation from the FSRI and I'm kinda jacked to get back to work.  As you know, I was actually placed on "administrative leave" a few weeks ago after publishing an interview that some of the FSRI "higher-ups" didn't think was appropriate.  So to show how pissed off they were they decided that I should take a little break.  So I did.  Now I'm back.  No hard feelings.  Whatever...

The reason I'm back, though, isn't a good one (...for me that is.)  I'm back to do a book review, and as most of you know I don't like book reviews very much because I don't like books.  (It's not that I don't like books... it's more like because I don't like to read, and I don't like to read for several reasons; none of which I'll get into now.)  But for some reason they couldn't find anyone else to do the review, so here I am and I'll give it my best shot.

The book I'm reviewing today is call Dig This Gig: Find Your Dream Job - or Invent It, and it's by an author by the name of Laura Dodd.  I don't know if she's any relation to that guy out in Connecticut who was a congressman, but if she is, I didn't find out through this book.  Anyway, back to the review...

At 250 pages, the book is a nice size.  It's about six inches by nine inches and has a simple blue cover (the color of a robin's egg).  It has a nice weight to it too, and I found it very easy to hold when I was reading it.  (Yes, I read the real book and not the ebook!)  One thing I noticed while flipping through the pages one night before going to bed was how orderly everything looked inside.  It seemed like it was very well written and very well thought out.  Man there were tons of words!  But from what I could tell her points were easy to understand and well argued.

The minuses...  There were a few things that really bothered me about this book, and here they are.  The first, there were hardly any pictures!  Yes, I know what you're saying: How can a book grab your attention if there's nothing to look at but words?  This must have slipped past her editors and hopefully she can put in some more graphs and pictures in the next edition.

Second, Ms. Dodd mentions in her title that you can invent a job... NOW WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT?  Sheeeeesh, I can think of a thousand jobs that I'd never invent, and a thousand jobs that I'd never do!  Which brings me to my last point...  why on earth would you write a book about making work for yourself?  In this day and age there are already a million things to do.  Would you actively go out and make more work for yourself?  Especially now when the economy is so bad and there's a ton of people out there looking for work?  It doesn't make sense.  After I write this review I promised my mom that I'd take out the garbage and recycling, clean the gutters after last night's storm, start up the dehumidifier and clean up the dog poop in the back yard.  Uggh!  Laura Dodd, GET OFF MY CASE!!!!

So that's my review of the book.  I hope it helps you figure out if you want to buy it or not.  Whatever...

Decateur T.





No comments: