Saturday, June 30, 2007

I Came, I Saw, ...I iPhoned!?



I am writing this to express my concerns regarding this iPhone phenomena. I don't know what this Steve Jobs fellow is up to, but it is deeply worrisome that he has taken it upon himself to place his "i" in front of a traditional part of speech--the intransitive verb. The implications for the English language may prove catastrophic. Which verb will be next to succumb to Mr. Jobs's caprice? Will there be a time in the not-to-distant future when we are forced to respond with "I iwalk" or "I idrive" when a coworker asks us how we get to work? And which part of speech will be next to fall? The adjective? The adverb? The conjunction?

Is this all symptomatic of our current generation's fascination with the individual--the subject "I"?

I harbored no ill will when his "i" preceded "Mac" or when the iPod became an icon of a tech-savvy new era. But something now seems amiss. Agreed?

KWA

No comments: